Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution refers to storing and/or sharing certain content on a web server managed by a hosting vendor. There are different varieties of hosting services utilized for various ends, so let's take a look at these. In that way, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to establish a website, electronic mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a service made available by some vendors, which enables you to share immense files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages often include advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given period of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limit when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is a totally imprecise interpretation of the real meaning of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would apportion the tasks at hand between different packs of web servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different site hosting services (electronic mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; certain providers provide a hosting service for images only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you would like to share a vast number of pics with pals or partners since the solution is generally free of charge. You will get a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to taking care of your e-mail addresses. Some providers provide web space hosting solutions for web sites, but do not offer an email solution. If you want to have a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to run a website, then the email hosting solution is what you need. You can set up mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a certain video file, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of availing of this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video files and a few hundred web site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will permit you to use as many video clips as you want without worrying about system quotas.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you desire to possess a web site. To a certain extent, it incorporates all of the aforementioned hosting brands since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and e-mail addresses, upload videos, etc. At Web Host Giant, for instance, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated server hosting packages that permit you to have all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are devised for particular content only.